Name Change Guide

Dealing with bureaucratic agencies to change your name after the wedding sounds about as fun as shoving bamboo shoots up your finger nails. And while it’s not exactly as pleasurable as inhaling a hot fudge sundae, it’s really not as difficult as you may think.

Here we’ll walk you through the steps of what you need to go from a Miss to a Mrs.

1. Order at least 4 copies of your marriage certificate from the county clerk’s office.

2. Download the form from the Social Security office and fill out the form before you go to the office in person. Bring the completed form, your identification, and an original copy of your marriage certificate to the Social Security office near you.

3. Next you’ll change your name on your driver license. Another official copy of your marriage certificate should help you in this process when you arrive at the DMV. You’ll also need to bring a form of identification like your driver license, passport, or birth certificate. Sometimes, certain DMVs in certain states also require you bring your new Social Security card, which means you may have to wait until it arrives. Check with your local DMV first. Also, make an appointment in advance if your DMV offers this convenient feature!

4. Don’t forget to change your name on your credit cards, insurance companies, your employer, banks, 401k and retirement plans, doctors, frequent flyer memberships, utilities companies (gas, phone, electricity, garbage, HOA, etc.). Usually, a simple phone call will do the trick or a quick log-in to their online portals.

5. Go buy new monogrammed towels to celebrate! Mazel tov!